Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Worry Wart

So...Ive been worrying (thinking) alot lately about a whole bunch of things I don't have a whole lot of control over. It really drives me crazy when you can't fall asleep, cuz you are too busy thinking over stupid, stupid stuff. If you are anything like me (God help you) you sit there and play over scenes that havent even happened yet. Some will be best case scenario, some worse, some are just bizaare.

So, as I was worrying, I tried to keep my mind off it by reading some of my FAVORITE poetry....I came across this one.

Funny how these things still apply to us as adults.

Whatif by Shel Silverstein


Last night, while I lay thinking here,
some Whatifs crawled inside my ear
and pranced and partied all night long
and sang their same old Whatif song:
Whatif I'm dumb in school?
Whatif they've closed the swimming pool?
Whatif I get beat up?
Whatif there's poison in my cup?
Whatif I start to cry?
Whatif I get sick and die?
Whatif I flunk that test?
Whatif green hair grows on my chest?
Whatif nobody likes me?
Whatif a bolt of lightning strikes me?
Whatif I don't grow talle?
Whatif my head starts getting smaller?
Whatif the fish won't bite?
Whatif the wind tears up my kite?
Whatif they start a war?
Whatif my parents get divorced?
Whatif the bus is late?
Whatif my teeth don't grow in straight?
Whatif I tear my pants?
Whatif I never learn to dance?
Everything seems well, and then
the nighttime Whatifs strike again!

RIP Shel Silverstein. You truly are a genious.

No comments:

Post a Comment