Sunday, February 14, 2010

olympic lovin

I love the Olympics....I always have. Some of my favorite memories involve Kristi Yamaguchi, Katarian Vit, Bonnie Blair, Shannon Miller (yeah- she's summer, but she is still an olympian), carrie shrug...so...I guess a lot of women are memorable.

But I love, for 3 weeks, that the WORLD seems to be cheering on something in "common" their own country.

We have already seen some amazing stories...and its only day three.

US Metals from short track speedskating, mogals, and nordic combined (our first EVER).

One of the greatest stories of these Olympics so far, is the story of J.R. Celsk, the American short track skater, who 6 months ago "nicked" his leg, almost severing his femoral artery, and thought his skating career was over, at 19. He proved himself and the rest of the world wrong on Saturday night, in an exciting ending, taking home the Bronze.

But we also have tragedy. As we all know, a Georgian luger, Nodar Kumaritashvili, tragically died during a training run on Friday, prior to the opening ceremonies and creating an atmosphere of somberness. Luging is such a scary sport, and I think it's scariness was brought to light in these Olympic games.

Im sure there will be so many more memories creates, hero's created, tears of joy, tears of defeat, and many more "Star Spangled Banner".

As countries around the world unite to cheer on the few, I pray for safe tracks, beautiful figure skating, and lots of close finishes.

3 comments:

  1. That story of JR freaked me the eff out and I refuse to watch them skate. Evan tells me if they've all skated successfully without any more bleeding out, then we rewind, and I can watch it.

    I know, I'm a dork, but the thought of getting cut by those skates gives me the heebie jeebies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you on the thoughts about the Olympics. I love them and love that the entire nation watches them together.

    I hadn't heard the JR story. I'm going on Google to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to copy and send your post to my husband. He totally loves Olympic stories. He probably knows this but it was interesting. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete